Saturday, December 22, 2007

Alexa: Holidays

After 12 months of hard work, Carmen was off home to Spain for a well deserved rest. Coopera had arranged for another Spanish vet, Pablo, to take charge whilst she was gone. He is very experienced with primates as he works with them in Spain so was well suited to the task of looking after everything at Lwiro for 6 weeks. Pablo settled in well and workers and animals loved him. He organised a party for the workers the weekend before Christmas. We bought a goat, lots of spaghetti (they love spaghetti here!!) and beer and invited all the workers to the house after work. It was great fun! Everybody was up dancing and singing the sanctuaries ‘Sheriff and gentil’ song, even before the beer was opened. They wore their best clothes and smiles! The evening was thoroughly enjoyed by all.

1 comment:

Blood-Shot Heart said...

Dear Ladies.I am writing from Alberta Canada.I am very interested in primates and just discovered your blog about 2.5 hours ago.I have to take a break as my eyes are killing me as I have been absolutely mesmerized since I read the first entry.I have been reading steadily,I can't stop.(except for the dutch or german as I don't understand it.You ladies are as brave as any person I have ever read about.Your blog is absolutely amazing.(the work you are doing and not a whimper or complaint)Have you girls and your organization ever thought of putting your amazing stories out as a published book?I truly believe that it would sell.It would also be a great way for you to raise funds.I just moved outside Calgary Alberta after spending17 years in the north(the peace country)I thought I had lived some adventures in the bush with the grizzly and black bears,moose wolves etc.I can see now what true adventurers are really all about.I am serious about the book.I know you have made a new fan here.Keep up the incredible work and keep safe (and keep writing-please)I am staying up to finish this reading if it takes 3 more hours and it has been a long while(and I am a voracious reader)since I have read anything this captivating.SincerelyEd Murphy