Monday, March 12, 2007

Day of disaster, Tessa

So much for the day of rest… But everybody still alive. Our very competent workers were cleaning one of the cages, but left the door open, allowing one of the 6 year old chimps in with the 15 year olds who proceeded to use him as a rag doll. Not only was it a smaller chimp, it was the only one who can’t defend himself- Kalume, the one who was attacked by people and can’t open his mouth properly. After the excitement the big guys calmed down, and the fence was cut to allow Kalume to come out. Seen as he had to be anaesthetized to have a check up, Carmen gave him his Chelsea smile. I’m sure he will be able to eat properly once the stitches have healed, he can definitely open his mouth and use his teeth on my fingers so far!
Balume had the day of rest for all of us…. Being his day off, me and one of the other workers had to put the Goma kids to bed. Yeah right….. Kama won’t go in without Baheni, Shege in then out, in out, shake it all about, Gari attached himself to my leg so I had great difficulty trying to pull Irangi down from the roof, Kamituga stuck his teeth into my hand several times in the same place….. but after some peanuts all was well. 9 chimps in their beds…. And me. Getting them in was a problem, now getting myself out is a problem! Gari and Irangi screamed the house down and committed attempted strangulation simultaneously every time I tried to leave. In the end I managed to escape, but with the choice of smashing Gari’s head in the door or letting him come out, I chose the latter. 8 out of 9 ain’t bad. So he slept with two others, and winged for ever cos he wasn’t with his friends! Typical!

No comments: