Friday, December 1, 2006

News from other parts

I have been in South Africa for a while now and after my medical problems have had to think hard about making some cash so that I can be financially responsible if it happens again. I have had a few offers and one of them is with CLAW (Community Led Animal Welfare) in Johannesburg. They do the primary health care for the dogs and cats of the communities of Soweto. They have a clinic on the western side of Johannesburg and vehicles that go out into the townships every week. I volunteered there last week and it was very interesting. Monday was taken up by getting to know the clinic and where everything was. On Tuesday, I went with Cora (the director) on some errands. First, we picked up a lady from a squatter camp to take her to the Aids town - a settlement devoted to those that have aids, no money, families etc. We wanted to take her kids with because children that are alone in the camp will surely get raped and molested. The Aids village has a limit of about 170 kids but they are accommodating over 230 now. We then went to buy a whole lot of groceries for this little school that Cora supports. They were having their Christmas party. After that, we got a call to go into the centre of Soweto to pick up a dog who was 'very ill'. As we drove, Cora told me stories about her years of work in this community even before it was CLAW. She told me about the 80's, the apartheid, her being highjacked on several occasions - once the horse and the box she was towing got taken too! She told me about driving through an area that the ANC was going to attack and having someone fall onto her windscreen with nine bullet holes in his back. He was a thief who had come from a neighbouring community and the people had shot at him. As Cora was cleaning him up and pulling bullets out his back she noticed some animal skin armbands he was wearing and asked him the significance. He said they were to protect him from flying bullets! We picked up the puppy - who wasn't precisely on death's door - and took him to the house of one of Cora's staff in Soweto because he had the drugs we needed to treat the puppy. He has been with Cora for many years and has about five dogs of his own. The family gathered round the table in the tiny shack as we doctored the puppy and we all spoke about traditional circumcision!I had told the kids that had been to the clinic on Monday that we would have a dip day on Wednesday. They dip their dogs with Jeyes Fluid which is a very harsh toilet cleaner and can kill a dog. They have just always believed it works but when they bring their animals in, they always have loads of ticks and fleas, even though they cover them in Jeyes! So, I ended up washing and dipping seventeen dogs! On Thursday I was so stiff. We had a T Touch course for the staff to teach them how to calm vicious and stressed out dogs. Friday was quiet as the guys were out on different clinics in the townships. There are about eight dogs and fifteen kittens at the centre now which have all been taken away from unacceptable living conditions, so if anyone is near to Johannesburg and knows of someone who will rehome a traumatised township animal, please give me a call.It looks like the universe has shown me that I am needed in this place at this point in my life. They are happy to pay me a salary....wow and I will even get a medical aid!!I miss the chimps so much that it hurts, but I know they are safe with Nicole and Tessa in Goma. Not long now for their news to hit the blog.Will keep you updated. Lots of love. XXXX

No comments: